Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dear Family,
After much thought and prayer, I would like to put a question out there for everyone and hopefully have some feedback. I have been wondering for some time about what the future of the Siegel blog should be. Since I started the blog, I probably feel more of a responsibility for it than others do, and it has been on my mind quite a bit over the last several months. My concern is that I just do not believe that the blog is fulfilling the purpose it was intended for, which, in my mind at least, was to draw us together as a family. At one time, it was such a blessing to me to go to the blog and read the messages from other members of our family and to see the interaction that took place there. It was a continual reminder to me of how special our family is and how blessed we are to have unity in the Lord. Now, however, it is a reminder to me of conflict that we all know exists, and I find myself feeling hurt by what is or isn't said on the blog. I have tried to "not care" about it, but for me it is a reflection of the state of our family, and I DO care about that. To be honest, I had made the decision to shut the blog down and make copies for anyone who wants them, but I thought it would be better if I gave everyone the chance to say how they feel.
Please know that I don't bring this up in anger or to try and make a statement--I just would like to know your thoughts. So, my question is, how does everyone feel about the future of the blog? Who is interested in continuing it? Does anyone think it is time to shut it down? If we don't shut it down, are there changes we should make?
Hope everyone is doing well,
Love,
Jenny

5 comments:

Lindsey Eason said...

I too love it when everyone updates regularly...seeing video footage and recent photo's of everyone in the family is fun and I think your idea of creating a blog for everyone to do that was fantastic! It does seem like the blog activity has slowed down a lot lately...and because of that I keep forgetting to even check for updates. I'll support whatever decision that's made - I'd sure love to see it continue - but only if it is positive for everyone!

The Siegel Family said...

Dear Family,
For one who lives the greatest distance away, the blog has been one of the best things for us to keep in touch with family members. The blog is the first thing I check in the morning. It is very obvious that activity has greatly reduced. When communication begins to shut down we begin to slowly drift apart. It is no different in a family that lives together. Silence and indifference toward each other sends a signal that I really do not care or I am not interested in what is going on in your life. It has not always been that way in this family. But for a little over a year now hurt feelings and misunderstandings have caused this family to grow very distant from one another. I know that pa loved what we had in our family and so enjoyed when we all could get together just enjoy being around each other. Sometimes when we have family very near we may take it for granted and not cherish the times we get to be together or the times we get to communicate to one another over the blog. I am sorry for the contribution that I have made to hard feelings and miscommunication. If our silence and disinterest continues we will end up at granny's funeral one day and instead of loving and supporting one another we will stand off from each other in little groups and not talk to each other. Sadly we have seen that in pa's family. It is my prayer and desire that not only this blog continue but that we be able to talk to on another and lets begin to heal this family. I love you all.
Larry

Keith and Erin said...

My vote is to keep it. As Larry mentioned, the blog has been one of the ways for my family to keep up with happenings of others. Jenny, I would be honored to take on the administrative responsibilities of the blog for awhile. In fact, it may be a good idea to rotate the role (just so no one person gets burned out). Just let me know. Love to all!

Keith

Hannah said...

Jenny, Thank you for the effort you have put into this blog. It has been a wonderful way to keep up with everyone, especially for those of us who live a long way off. I feel like I have gotten to know many members of the Siegel family better through this blog. I would love to see it continue.

The Siegel Family said...

I just wanted to thank everyone for wanting the blog to continue. May we continue to work on our relationship with one another and always try to express the love and need we have for one another.
Love, Larry