
Bernard Siegel
Born January 5, 1918
Died October 29, 1999
Ten Things I Remember About My Dad:
1. He loved to read. He mostly read books to broaden his knowledge and understanding about God and the Bible. Max Lucado was one of his favorite authors. Books were his friends!
2. He always like to help me with school projects. I still have an abacus he made for me in junior high school out of wood and metal rods and nuts.
3. He liked to fish but had a hard time catching anything. We often went to the jetties just to fish or to the beach where he would fish for flounder from the shore.
4. He took great pleasure in giving you things. If he ever got wind you needed something, he would somehow see that you got it.
5. He loved to spend time with his grandchildren, especially one-on-one. We still have a recording he made of him and Jenny (age just turned 4) as they conversed in the car on the way to Granny’s and to Sears and other places….it is priceless!
6. He had a beautiful handwriting. It almost looked like it had been printed instead of handwritten.
7. He couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket….but when he sang in church you knew it came from the heart and so it came out as pure and sweet as honey. I would love to be able to sit beside him and hear him again.
8. As he walked me down the aisle at my wedding, he stepped on my bridal veil and ALMOST pulled it off. I think he was more nervous than I was.
9. Besides books, he loved to listen to tapes of sermons by great Bible scholars and had his own tape ministry that he shared with anyone who would take the time to listen. The journey from our house to his was just enough time to hear a sermon and he always had one for us. The next time we were together, he would ask you if you had listened to that tape!
10. He had a hard time showing affection….the first time I remember him hugging me was when I graduated from high school….it felt a little awkward. However, I always knew he loved me and he was proud of me. In later years he would tell me he loved me when we talked on the telephone before we hung up.
8 comments:
He was a great Pa! Thanks for doing this Mom, it really brings back great memories!
I learned a lot about him reading this. Realy wish I could've met him!
Wow! It doesn't seem like it has been 10 years. I am so glad that we have so many great memories of Pa. Thank you Aunt Linda for reminding us of how special he was (and still is) to all us! Ten Things I remember:
1. The "burn barrel" next to the shed.
2. Taking Great Granny out to eat lunch. Pa always ordered a Patti-melt
3. Going to the base and getting circus peanuts
4. Listening to sermons on tape while driving to the base. And yes, he would always ask us questions to see if we were paying attention
5. "Boofers" left on outside
window sills
6. Eating Grill Cheese sandwiches at their house on Sunday nights after church
7. The "What have ya's"
8. As Aunt Linda mentioned in #4, he would give the shirt off his back if he thought you needed it. He didn't often hug you or show affection, but when it came to helping, he was first in line.
9. He took care of Granny. He always made sure that he provided for her and that she was happy!
10. And my favorite.... The goody box. There were the neatest little gadgets in there.
Thanks again, Aunt Linda for reminding us to stop and remember all the great memories he left for us!
Melissa
Teresa said...
Linda, those are great memories! Listening to those tapes made the trips back and forth to Arkansas not seem so long.
Melissa, thinking of the boofers brings a smile to my face. I was pregnant with Blaine and we were visiting Disney World with Granny and Pa. Brandon was 4 years old. Wendy's Hamburgers had an advertisement out asking "Where's the Beef?". We stopped at Wendy's for breakfast before we went into the Magic Kingdom. Brandon came up out of no where and said "Where's the boofer?" :) We all just laughed so hard!
I would find half used boofers around our front porch and mailbox when they came to visit us in LR. Every once and a while I get a sniff of that cigar scent and think of him. Makes me think he is still watching over his family that he loved so much.
10 Things about Dad:
1.He loved his family.
2.Delicatessan, not sure of spelling
3.Has made me desire to be with him in Heaven.
4 Made me feel secure.
5.Matzo and hot tea on Sunday night after church.
6.Taught me how to play baseball
7.Son if you don't straighten up me and you going to war.
8.Loved God
9.After getting older and understanding dad's childhood,I have loved him more for being the type of dad that he was. It was a God thing!
10.Desire to seek God in books,tapes and whathaveya. I love you Dad and I miss you. Brandon told me that Ben is beginning to talk and that they were trying to get him to say Grandpa. He would have trouble with the grand part,but he was able to say the pa part. If I can be half the pa he was I will feel good. Thanks Linda and Melissa fot the reflections on pa.I love you guys.
Larry
How could I forget Worman's????? I think we were the only family that celebrated the holidays and family get togethers with salami and bagels!
Melissa
I just saw this post and thanks Aunt Linda, for all of the memories! It's hard to believe it has been 10 years. Some things I remember:
1. Giving me math problems to work out when we went out to eat.
2. All of the notes he would make in his Bibles; they were so neat and precise and showed how intelligent he really was.
3. Who can forget Worman’s? I have so many memories of going there early on Saturday mornings and Pearl waiting on us.
4. Pa loved Granny and treated her so well. He was always looking out for her and took such good care of her.
5. I’ve never been able to make matzo as well as he did. I don’t know what it is, but there was something he did that made it so good.
6. I remember going to see the movie “Cool Runnings” with him and Granny and after the movie, Pa was joking around and talking in a Jamaican accent.
7. I can still see him, legs crossed, sitting in his brown recliner.
8. Pa made the best French toast I’ve ever had.
9. He loved a steak…it didn’t matter where we went, he always got a New York strip.
10. I used to think his real name was Paul…perhaps it’s no coincidence that the Biblical character he reminds me the most of is Paul. The story of his transformation after he found Christ is remarkable and I’m so proud to call him my grandfather. I miss him every day.
I love you all!
WOW! I am so crying right now. I miss him terribly!! Here's my ten things:
1. Going to the base, him riding Keith and me around and then going for circus peanuts.
2. His PINKY RING! I always thought it was so neat.
3. Boofers on the window ledges.
4. His "foo-foo" cologne scent.
5. Trips to Wormans and then to great grandmothers.
6. Sermons by tape in the Mercury with pop quiz after.
7. The way his car always smelled.
8. When you hugged him and he would say "Get outta here" but you knew he really didn't mean it.
9. "What have ya"!
10. Holding Alec in his arms when I brought him home from the hospital. It was the only time Pa got to hold him. Alec would have loved Pa!!!
Okay, so now I am sobbing! I love you Pa!!!
Post a Comment