
Today (September 2) was Great Granny's birthday, Pa's mother who was born on September 2, 1898....she would be 108 today! I believe she was 91 when she died. She was born Mary Ray Kitsa in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. For all of you who knew her and remember her, she was a strong lady who worked hard and had little material goods in this life but she was always ready to give or to help anyone in need....never complaining and not wanting anyone to do for her. She was a great cook....roast chicken, Granny's cole slaw, apple pies and what we called "roly polies" (better known as Rugela). Borscht and chopped liver were two of Pa's favorites....
9 comments:
Linda, thanks for the post. I was thinking of Granny yesterday and of the wonderful roast chicken and potatoes that she cooked also. I have never had any coleslaw that would beat hers. She was a tough lady at times, but considering what her life must have been like at times, she almost had to be to survive. Thanks again for reminding us of those who had a hand in who we are.
Thanks for sharing that picture. I love to learn more about the Siegel family's history.
Granny Siegel- Gin rummy, Dentyne gum, Box of old birthday cards, Mimosa tree, Camphor tree, Brooklyn Dodgers, Role-polies, Roman meal bread, Ligustrum headges, Football in the front yard, Breakfast on Saturday mornings, Orange tree, and Riding in the back seat going to church. The only grandparent I really knew well. A good grandmother!
Larry
Wow, I can't believe Great Granny would be 108! My clearest memories of her were of going with Pa to visit her at the nursing home on Saturday's....taking her out to the Base and for lunch at Village Inn. I'm glad I got to know her before she passed away.
Great Granny always had hard candy and sugar cubes at her apartment. I remember going to Village Inn too, Jenny. I think that was the only place we ever ate at, besides Patti's for very special occasions! Speaking of Patti's, I had to take Madison to a Pediatric Neurologist in Jax and his office is in the old Patti's restaurant. That brought back alot of memories. I used the restroom there and it looked just like it did when it was Patti's!
Oh, I haven't thought about Patti's in years!! And I'd forgotten about the hard candy, too....I guess Pa learned that habit from Great Granny. He always had at least 3 cough drops in his pocket plus a peppermint, if you were lucky.
You take the glasses off Granny and trim her hair short and I see Pa.
Larry
Linda, When I read your post the other day, I was thinking that Granny was born in 1895 which would have made her 113 this year. So much has been going on here that I haven't had time to look it up, but I checked today and she was born in 1895 and died in 1986. Just in case anyone is keeping the information in a family tree.
I stand corrected on the date of birth....and oh yes, she loved to play cards with us (I can still hear her say, "I've got nothing with nothing.") Always had Dentyne gum....the camphor tree was our playground, the best climbing tree around with berries and leaves for our pretend food. Roman Meal bread when whole wheat bread wasn't cool!...always had a nice green lawn to play football, red rover, etc (for some reason we could never get a good lawn going in our yard..just weeds and sandspurs!..Perry Mason and ballgames (before she had her own TV, she would come down to watch with us)....thanks for the comments and for going with me down memory lane and remembering a part of who we all are! Love, Linda
Post a Comment