We were all saddened today to learn of the passing of Uncle Eddie from this life on May 30, 2007 at the age of 71. This picture of him was taken at our house last Thanksgiving. He took some oranges from our trees with him, and you would have thought we had given him some great treasure....but that's how he was...he lived a simple life, making friends wherever he was, giving generously to others and always appreciative of what he had. He always found the good in others and handled life's hard knocks with dignity and grace. We will miss you, Uncle Eddie....we love you.
Monday, June 11, 2007
We were all saddened today to learn of the passing of Uncle Eddie from this life on May 30, 2007 at the age of 71. This picture of him was taken at our house last Thanksgiving. He took some oranges from our trees with him, and you would have thought we had given him some great treasure....but that's how he was...he lived a simple life, making friends wherever he was, giving generously to others and always appreciative of what he had. He always found the good in others and handled life's hard knocks with dignity and grace. We will miss you, Uncle Eddie....we love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Linda, thanks for the thoughts about Uncle Eddie. I know that he appreciated the love, care and concern that we had shown him and really enjoyed being with all the family at Thanksgiving. He really was proud of each family unit and I know that Pa is proud of us for caring for him. Family meant so much to Pa and I think that Uncle Eddie was beginning to realize that for himself. We need to keep in touch with Annie and Patti so I will post their addresses and email addresses to the blog. Everyone have a great week!!
I will miss Uncle Eddie. I was glad we were able to spend time with him Thanksgiving. I will never forget him speaking at dad's funeral. Your right Linda he had a big heart and the times the last few years that I talked on the phone with him was like talking to dad. See everyone soon.
Love,Larry
It breaks my heart to think that Uncle Eddie was alone when he died. I think that we as his family should do thing something in his memory. Whether it is making a donation towards cancer research in his name or having a tree planted or something. I don't know what but I feel we should do something. Any thoughts on this? Kim
Underneath that gruff exterior was a man who truly loved our family and was proud of us. He never ended a conversation without saying that he loved us. I will really miss him.
Kim, I agree completely. I think either one of those ideas would be a great thing to do.
Kim, I think that is a wonderful idea and either one would be great. I know what you mean about the thought that he died all alone, but Linda and I were talking about that and knowing him (and Pa) they were very private people and I feel that he did not want anyone to see him like that and he knew that we all cared deeply for him and that we would have done anything for him and I do believe that it gave him peace. I think in the last few years that he really saw how family works and he felt so proud to be a part of that. Let's hear everyone's ideas about doing something in his memory.
Why don't we get him a nice citrus tree and plant it out at Granny's house. I will get one this week and plant it if this is ok with everyone.
That sounds good to me, Dad. I think Uncle Eddie would have liked that. What does everyone else think?
I think that is a great idea....
Just had another thought (sometimes I do....have more than one thought!) Why don't we gather some time next week while Larry is here (informally) meet around the tree and share some special thoughts or stories about Uncle Eddie....
All those things sound good to me!
those are all good ideas i will be down there Tuesday and leave after church Sunday.
Larry
And we should have delicatessan....
That sounds very appropriate, I think that would be nice.
I will truly miss Uncle Eddie, not only because he reminded me so much of Pa, but how he wanted to express how he loved this family but couldn't quite get there. I always looked forward to seeing him and giving him a big bear hug just to see him get all flustered. But I knew deep down that our expressions of love made him feel special. There will never be another Uncle Eddie! I will miss him.
I think planting the orange tree is a great idea. I will look forward to taking some "Eddie Oranges" back with us as a reminder of a special man!
Nancy, Alec and I got two trees today. One for Eddie and one for Pa.
Post a Comment