Monday, July 03, 2006

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO EVERYONE!! Ok, I know I am a day early but I was afraid that I would not be able to check blog tomorrow. Earl's All-Star tournament has a game tomorrow and we have to leave early to get to Jax. He is playing on the Navy Base--it is kind of cool because I can remember Keith and I going there with Pa. He bought us circus peanuts and drove us around on a golf cart. He took us to see the planes and then to Toyland. It's weird how certain memories stay with you. Anyway, Earl's team is 2-0. Go St. Augustine!! This year's team is not as experienced as last year so we expected to go 2 and out but they are hanging tough. Earl hit the game winning triple in our first game to win 17-16. He caught the entire game, picked off two people at 3rd and assisted in two double plays. Our second game he played third. He and/or the pitcher made every out in the game which allowed us to win 14-0. Earl is our top pitcher which the coach is keeping very quiet about. He doesn't want to show him until necessary. All the teams scout out the other teams to see what the competition looks like so you don't want to show your best hand first ( and there's the pitch count to consider also). Sitting out in 90 degree weather doesn't sound like fun, but we all look forward to it. Alec is always looking forward to the concession stands--especially if they have Chilly Willies. He is in heaven when Mom is there because he can talk her into several trips to the snack bar. The ole' "I have to go to the bathroom" line gets her every time.
AGAIN HAPPY (EARLY) 4TH OF JULY TO EVERYONE!! Love, Kim

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the grilled cheeses at the cafeteria (I think they call it something else)! Those were good memories! Way to go Earl! That's great! We hope to see you guys soon.

Anonymous said...

That's great about Earl being "star" pitcher! Chad and I would love to see him play a game - let me know what his schedule is if you can.

Anonymous said...

Hey, watch it. All the trips to the "bathroom" are legitimate. I can't help it if we have to pass the concession. Anyway, the game the other night was just plain exciting! And in my opinion, Earl just happens to be the "star" player!! Looking forward to the game tomorrow. Keith, I think they called the cafeteria, the "Tower". I remember Pa taking Linda and I with him to work and he would get us cheese and crackers and of course, some kind of candy and there was a pond close to the hanger that he worked in and we would go out there and fish sometime and eat. All those memories are so precious and I want all the grandchildren to be able to one day talk about all the memories they will create. Everyone have a great 4th!!

Anonymous said...

Brings back a lot of memories....I remember fishing off the dock on the base with the cheese we had for our cheese sandwiches. Don't remember ever catching anything but we sure had fun! Reminds me also (I was about six or seven) of Mom taking us to the pool on the base to swim and meeting Dad there after he got off from work. We would then have dinner at the Chief's Club....they had the best hamburgers! Give us an update on the ballgame....GO EARL!! Have a great Fourth of July and remember the sacrifices of so many to allow us the freedom we have to enjoy today.