Sunday, March 18, 2007

Hey! Just wanted everyone to know that Erin's brother, Grant, made it home safely from Africa yesterday afternoon. As some of you know, he is in the Marines and was deployed to Africa last July (August??). To make things more challenging, during his deployment, his wife, Danielle, gave birth to their first baby (Sophia) in January. God heard and answered the prayers that went up on their behalf. We all went to the Marine center where he arrived and I must say it was a pretty neat experience witnessing these brave men coming home from protecting our country. Driving away, Erin and I discussed how it takes a special person to volunteer to serve and we both quickly admitted it was difficult for us to understand since neither of us had that desire. However, I did think of Pa and how he served for as long as he did. My experience yesterday helped me to appreciate Pa, Grant and everyone who has served to protect our freedom. We often complain about the political differences we encounter but I am more thankful now for those that do not hold the same beliefs I do. If they are not allowed the freedom to believe what they want to believe, it only puts my beliefs in jeopardy. There may be a lot of things wrong with this country, but at least we are allowed to worship our God without our lives being threatened - as some people in certain countries are faced with.

Sorry for the rambling. It was just a very patriotic weekend for us. On a side note, the local news channels were there as well and filmed Grant meeting/holding Sophia for the first time. They even filmed Elizabeth Anne walking around and they were all on the local news last night. Of course we Tivo'd it and have watched it several times!

I hope everyone has a great week and thinks about how fortunate we are to have had men like Pa and Grant serve to protect us.

Keith

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith, thanks so much for letting us know that Grant is safely home. I know that was wonderful to be able to see him see Sophia for the first time. We are so thankful to God for keeping him safe!! We sometimes forget the sacrifices our military men and women make to give us the freedoms that we take for granted and enjoy everyday. I ran across the front page of the newspaper the other day on September 11 and the whole front page was the scene of the planes crashing into the WTC and I thought this may need to be shown on TV each day to help us remember why we are in a war and to get on our knees and thank God each and everyday that we have men and women who have left their families and all the freedoms that we enjoy over here to risk their lives so that we may continue to worship God and enjoy life. (I'm on my soapbox now), but it really makes me angry to hear all the dissension about the war. I don't think anyone wants to be at war, but we need to support these protectors of our freedom and let them know that the USA (their home) is behind them. PHEW!!! I am going to go get my flag and hang it outside. Anyway, I am sooo glad that Grant is home and tell him how thankful I am for people like him. Have a wonderful day. We called yesterday and now I know where ya'll were at. Will try to call tonight. So sorry this is so long.

Anonymous said...

Do we need to break out in "I'm proud to be an American"? I can just imagine that the flag is waving proudly at Nu Nu's! All kidding aside, I get teared up when I see service men and women coming home. It is such an emotional sight. Every since 911, I cry when firetrucks go by in the parade! How pathetic am I? I am so glad that we live in a country where we are able to worship God and I think we need to be reminded of that on a daily basis and thank God for it!

Okay, I don't want to get on my soapbox so I will just say, Thank you Keith for reminding us and tell Grant and his family that we are glad he made it home safely.

Have a good week!

Lindsey Eason said...

Keith, your posts are always so insightful! What an amazing experience it must've been to see all of the men and women meeting up with their family and friends! While living in Savannah, I became close with a women who's husband is a ranger (deployed 3 months, home 3 months, deployed 3 months, home 3 months...ect.). I learned how hard it is for the families who are home without their husband or wife - it made me appreciate their sacrifices that much more! On a lighter note - how neat that you all were on the news - hope we can see that recording one day soon!!

Anonymous said...

Here is the link to one of the broadcasts:

http://www.myfoxal.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=2702830&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Let me know if you have any trouble viewing. I'm looking for the other broadcast and will post when I find it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Grant is home! I teared up watching that video of him with Sophia...how priceless! I agree with Mom, there is such anti-war sentiment and so many times along with that is our country being unsupportive of troops. I don't care what you think about the war, these men and women are giving up their own freedoms and their own safety just to make sure that we have ours! It astounds me how selfish and ungrateful Americans can be sometimes. You don't have to support the war, but unless you prefer living in a country that is even more vulnerable to terrorism, you better support our troops! I'm so thankful for the patriotism in children, as that video showed. And as far as Harrison emulating Grant "protecting the country" with his little pop gun, I can't think of a better hero!