
I know Pet Memorials are new territory for the Blog, but we Easons wanted to pay tribute to our sweet, loyal pet, Poochie, who passed away Saturday afternoon.
Poochie was almost 14 years old (98 in dog years!) and she spent all but a few weeks of those years living on Quail Roost Rd. with the Easons. Although it took me a while to convince Mom that keeping Poochie was a good idea (I brought her home as a starving puppy in a box from band practice--thankfully, Dad was the only one home at the time and I was able to convince him to let me keep her), I think we all eventually came to the conclusion that she was meant to be ours.
Poochie wasn't the prettiest dog we'd ever seen...and, let's face it, she always had a strange, Poochie smell....but there was something about Poochie that made her different from your average dog. She had this sensitive side that almost made her human. One day several years ago, when I was home alone, I heard a commotion in the backyard and caught sight of Poochie tearing across the yard, chasing away a hawk. The hawk had been after one of our chickens and had, in fact, injured the chicken's wing. After Poochie got rid of the hawk, she actually stood guard by the wounded chicken to keep it safe. She would not leave until Dad had taken care of the chicken.
And then there was the time she kept showing up with baby rabbits, letting them play around in the grass between her front paws and covering them up with pine straw at night to keep them safe and warm. She'd carry them around in her mouth and wouldn't let anyone else get close to them. We soon discovered that the mother rabbit had been killed out back by an owl, and Poochie was trying to take care of the babies, one at a time.
Everybody knew Poochie--some of my high school friends still ask about her. Over the last year, Shepherd had become Poochie's latest friend. He'd look for her as soon as he got out of the car at Mom and Dad's and she'd patiently put up with him hugging her and trying to ride her.
We have so many more memories of Poochie, but mostly we wanted to say that we are so glad she's been a part of our family, and we'll miss her. She was everything a dog should be -- always happy to see us and sorry to see us leave, watching over all of us protectively and loyally.
Thanks to everyone for indulging us in this little memorial. :-)
10 comments:
Thank you, Jenny, for paying tribute to our special dog who so endeared herself to us through the years. She was a humble, kind dog who always seemed to appreciate her home and loved ones. I think she somehow felt responsible for every living thing on her property whether it be a chicken or an abandoned baby rabbit....could her beginnings as an abandoned orphan given her a special sense of caring for others in distress? We miss her so!
Nice memorial Jenny! We will miss Poochie. She was a great dog, and she lived a great dog-life! I am glad that we were all blessed to have her, and that she was blessed to have the home that she had.
The person who refered to a dog as man's best friend must have hade a dog like poochie. You couldn't ask for a more loyal and kind friend. She never was a bit of trouble, was good with children and was always around when you needed someone to love on. So long old girl. Things won't be the same without you. Dennis
Jenny, what a beautiful tribute to a very deserving pet. She was the most humble and kind dog I have ever seen. Everytime you pulled up to the house, she would just easily and quietly come on up to the car and wait patiently for you to get out and then wait patiently for just a word of acknowledgement from you and then follow you up to the porch and when everyone had gone in to lay down and wait for everyone to come back out. I think that Linda was right in that she had a special sense of caring for those who needed someone. She truly was a remarkable dog. We will miss her!
Sweet Poochie - thank you for the past 6 years of greetings at the Eason home. Chad and I will miss you joining us on our walks through their neighborhood and Shepherd will miss hugging your neck when he gets out of the car!! Your sweet puppy dog eyes will be missed as well as your quiet nature - you were a dog who was very loved and I know Chase is going to miss having his friend here to keep him company. I'm so glad Jenny found you and gave you the opportunity to live a long and good life - you deserved nothing less!!
How sad! Poochie was one of the sweetest, most humble dogs that I have ever met...she did live a good life and she was such a happy dog. I don't care what anyone says that dogs are just animals, they are part of the family and I know that I cried like a baby when Molly died. I will miss her coming to greet us when we pulled up and like Mom said, she never jumped up on you, she just waited for you to say hi and then when you did it seemed like you had made her day. She will definitely be missed, but she had a full life and there's a little part of my heart that hopes the movie was right, "All Dogs Go to Heaven." :-)
I am just now reading the sad news. I am so sorry to hear about Poochie. Dogs have such a way of touching our hearts. I had tears in my eyes when I read your tribute, Jenny. How sweet of your dog to care for other animals. Don't be sad because she is gone, be happy for having the opportunity to have such a remarkable dog part of your family. Here is a poem that mom and dad's vet sent them when Molly died:
Rainbow Brige
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...
I know that some people would think this is silly, but it is nice to think that maybe, just maybe, they are waiting for us!
Love you guys!
Melissa, thanks for what you said, and for the poem--that was so good! I just have to believe that if God would give our pets such personality and spirit, he would let them join us in heaven. Maybe that's heresy, I don't know. :-) Still, it's a good thought.
Anyway, thanks for everyone's comments--hope you all had a Happy New Year!
Jenny, that is not heresy, I don't think. I have my own ideas about heaven and where it is going to be. I know that God is aware of when a sparrow falls and I believe that He is aware of His creation that He has given us to enjoy and the effect that it has on us when we lose one. Hope you have a great week! I want to get that Weight Watchers Lasagna recipe when you get a chance. Love ya!
Jenny thanks for sharing the tribute about Poochie. I understand yalls loss. I was sent the Rainbow Bridge poem when Molly died and I can not read it without a few tears. Dogs are truly one of God's gifts to us. I too want to see them again. We can learn so much about Gods love from them. They never fail us. Their love is perhaps the closest thing that we experience that emulates God's unconditional love for us.
Post a Comment