Hello to all! First of all I want to say thank you to Larry for his post, especially the comments about my dad and also for the suggestions you listed. I am extremely thankful for the male role models we have in this family. With the world trying to pull us in the opposite direction, it is awesome to know you have a family base that can pull much stronger. As each day rolls by, I realize how much of an impact a father has on his children, especially a son. Thanks to all of the men in this family that have shaped my life. The last couple of weeks have been weird for me (in a good way!). Pa has been on my mind a lot lately. I have really missed him. I'm not sure what prompted these feelings other than me being more aware of the little man I'm helping to develop. Pa was (and continues to be) a major influence in my life. And those influential things were not the times that he sat me down to have a talk (not his style). It was the everyday things he did that I'm sure he thought went unnoticed. And, at the time, I didn't realize I was paying attention, but apparently I was! Unfortunately, I was too young and naive to truly realize these things before he died. I never took the opportunity to tell him how much I appreciated him. But one day I'll have another chance. I will find him, sit down with him and share what's on my heart. Something tells me he's watching and he already knows.
What a scary (but awesome) responsibility to have that much influence in your son's/grandson's life! How quickly they learn (both good and bad!) We try so hard to help them avoid making the mistakes we made when we were young, that we sometimes end up creating new mistakes without knowing it. And they, in turn, end up helping their son avoid those "new" mistakes and then create even more new ones! It will happen and there's nothing we can do to avoid that. What's encouraging is that, with God's help, He will guide us through this journey and hopefully our sons will realize this as I have (and continue to do so). I am certain there is not an end to this life lesson. I'm sure my dad has realized new things as his children became adults and then, became parents themselves. I'm sure grandparents have a new list of things to learn (and teach). Although I'm the type of person that would rather learn something and cross it off my "Things to Learn" list, I actually look forward to keeping this item permantly open. My hope is that Harrison will develop the same respect and admiration for my dad that I have with Pa and that his son will feel the same about me. I only wish that I could've gotten to know Papaw better. Being in first grade when he died, I don't have too many memories. But the memories I have are good ones. I remember having a SpiderMan that rode a motorcycle that I would break it at least once a week. But I would take it to Papaw everytime it broke and he would take me to his workshop, put my toy in a vice and fix what was wrong. He would never turn me away. He would ALWAYS fix it, even though he knew I would break it again. God is always there to fix things, no matter how many times we bring him the same broken toy.
We worry about raising our sons because we love them so much and want the abolute very best for them. Imagine sacrifing their lives in order to save those that hated you. I can't. So, why shouldn't we celebrate daily, the fact that God loved us that much. We, as a family, are so fortunate to not only have the opportunity to celebrate the life of our fathers and grandfathers, but to celebrate the life of Jesus too.
Monday, June 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Good to hear from you Keith.There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of Dad. God really worked in a mighty way in Dad to start a Godly heritage in our family. It our resonsibility to pass it on to our children and grandchildren. Let us as family continue to encourage one another. Thanks again to Jenny for this wonderful idea.Larry
Siegel Family
You are so right, Keith, about us continuing to make mistakes and learn even as grandparents. You are wise to realize the things you do as a young father, and your tender heart is such an example to us all of a man after God's own heart! Thanks for sharing your thoughts....love, Aunt Linda
I thought I was the only one who had been thinking of Pa a lot lately. Maybe it's this blog and knowing that it's something Pa would have really enjoyed. Mom and I were speculating that he would've probably been a daily contributor! Just thinking about finding Pa again one day and sitting with him brings tears to my eyes and it makes me so thankful for the legacy that he left us. We have such a unique, special family...I know we say that a lot, but it's so true. I'm so thankful that I can look on here and see post after post that is uplifting and encouraging. I hope each and every one of you know how much I treasure you and how thankful I am that we are all committed to Christ. I just hope there's a mansion big enough for all of us in heaven :-)
And Keith, you know I love you and I'm so proud of the wonderful father you are. I miss you a lot and I can't wait to see all of you soon.
I love to hear about Pa...even though I've never met him I feel as if I have after hearing so many heart warming stories about his life. We appreciated what you had to say - thanks Keith!
Keith, this was so good! I think it's so important to remember that we're all far from perfect--we're jars of clay--but we can have full confidence that He will use our weak efforts to do something powerful. That's what I always think of when I think of how Granny and Pa lived their lives and all of the good that came out of their simple faith.
Post a Comment